Friday, May 1, 2015

At home professional hair color use...genius or foolish??

There are people in this world that may call me a cheap skate; I prefer to think of myself as frugal. This frugalness often leads me to think that I have a *brilliant* idea on how to save money! I cannot tell you the last time I paid for a haircut, or any kind of hair care service. My sisters in law are both cosmetologists and too pity on my hair a long time ago and started cutting and coloring it for me so I wouldn't do it myself. Unfortunately we now live 3 hours away from them so I’m back to at home hair care!

 You do not realize how awful box hair color is until you switch back to it from professional hair care products. I held off for a long time, but then the evil gray hairs started attacking my head and I gave in. I went to the store got a box of hair dye and….absolutely hated it. The color was nothing like I wanted or the box told me I would get. It left my hair dull and dry and I was over it the minute it was done. I left it alone because I wasn't going to risk further damaging my hair by dying it again so soon.

 Let’s fast forward about 6 weeks or so to yesterday. I noticed the evil gray hair monster was rearing its ugly head again and I made a mental note to get some hair dye next time I went to the store. Well, at about 2 in the morning I had an epiphany! I’ve watched my sister in laws dye my hair a million times, I could totally do this. So today, I made a trip to Sally’s and I was getting me some hair dye. Thankfully my sister in law had left a lot of the needed product at my house for future visits on her last visit, so I only had to pick out color. That is not nearly as easy as it sounds. The choices, oh man. Finally I decided on a brown color with a little bit of red, and some bleach. Oh yes, I was going to be real brave and put blond highlights in my hair too. 

 So I get home and I put the base color in. It was totally easy and gave me the confidence I needed for the next step….highlights! It turns out that this looks way easier to do than it actually is. I don’t know how I managed it, but my hair doesn’t look half bad to me. When I finished my husband didn't ask me what the heck I’d done to my hair, so it can’t be too bad right??










The picture on the left is before, and the picture on the right is after. How do you think I did? I couldn’t manipulate the foils very well and I think if I could find a different way or even get better at the foils I would have even better results. I apologize for the crappy photos, I'm slowly trying to improve my photography skills and I'm learning the importance of up close shots. Have you ever tried at home hair care with professional hair dye?? How did it turn out? Any tips or tricks you can share with me?

8 comments:

  1. I think it is looks nice not too bad. I am not an expert at coloring hair and usually get it done at salon the highlights but it is seriously getting expensive business. I help dye my husbands grey hair and I still have not found the perfect brand. Some give good color but make it too dull. I usually buy hair color at drug stores like CVS when they some deals like last time it buy one get one when I am not too sure on brand or how it will turn out. But conditioning is key I think as hair coloring seems to make hair too dry and dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours look nice and shiny.. I've not much experience with hair coloring as I've not done it on my hair before. But I help my husband to color his hair (mostly dark brown color & ammonia free Lo'real hair color). I usually use Henna (natural powder) once every 2 months on my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks good! I've never completely dyed my hair using a box, but I have done highlights many times. The pull through cap is a lot easier to use than the foil version, I think--though it takes FOREVER if you have thick hair like I do. I still get my highlights done at a salon every once in a while, but it gets so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It actually looks nice. I stopped buying the boxed dyes several years ago when I realized what horrid condition they were leaving my hair in. Since then I had a cosmo friend walk me through the store and tell me which products to buy. The products are just so much more high quality. Even if you aren't a professional - you're hair is still going to look and feel better than box dye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've often considered doing my own color, but I've always been afraid of the results. I think I'd be comfortable with the base color, but highlights scare me.Your post is giving me confidence to try to color my own hair, with one color at least. I may have to work up more courage for the highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have dyed my hair for the first time in over 10 years recently with Madison Reed hair color & was very happy with the results! Your hair turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha your post was entertaining. I love the way you write. I am not frugal, but I always look for the best deal. I think it's silly not to! I think your results are very nice from what I can see. I think that larger photos would be easier for us to see the results.

    Great post! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair looks nice in the photographs. I have been using Madison Reed color as well (I think someone else mentioned it). I think it works quite well, but is a little more expensive than a lot of boxed colors. I recently had a mishap with a boxed highlighting kit though (yikes!).

    ReplyDelete